Monday, May 6, 2013

In search of liquid soap, part one

We recently ran out of dish soap, so I decided to make some.  The first recipe I tried was from here and I tweaked it as follows
1 3/4 C water
1 T borax
1 T Washing Soda
1 T grated castile soap (I used 1 T liquid lavender Castile soap)
1/2 t essential oil (I used eucalyptus)

Results:
It smells great, but I love lavender to begin with.  It did not thicken as the recipe said it would.  I think this is because I used liquid castile soap as opposed to grated bar soap. My fault.  It does not bubble, which I expected.  I am going to keep looking and find proportions for one that uses liquid soap.

This is next on my list to try.  However, it includes castile soap (basic) and vinegar (acid), which is cautioned against here as the vinegar works against the soap.  I will likely omit the vinegar.

"The ingredients are botanicals, and our bodies speak Botanical. Our bodies don’t speak Triethanolamine or Polyethelene Glycol or Isobutane (common conventional shaving cream ingredients)"-Lisa Bronner

No comments:

Post a Comment